Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mount Rushmore (in the light)

Ladies, now you know what Mount Rushmore looks like (during the day time). I had some extra time today girls and Lorie, since the hole was completed this morning (they don't need me for hole completion). Time off, oh what shall I do? I am only 60 minutes from Mount Rushmore. Never been there. Oh, wait a minute, I was there once and there is a very funny story. Should I tease you? Oh, I guess will just spill the story for those of you who don't know it. I suppose MSJNRH and their beautiful mother are already rolling around their desk. Well the story goes like this.


Once when Meagan was a Freshman at BYU, we decided to spend Thanksgiving at Grandma and Grandpa Stoehr's house. As per our usual travel itinerary it was to be a trip straight through to Shawano, WI, spend a few days visiting friends and family, enjoying a nice turkey dinner, then traveling back home by way of Provo to drop Meagan off ready for classes on Monday morning. This all takes place in the space of five days starting on Wednesday and arriving late Sunday night. Kind of a mystical, magical tour in whirlwind fashion. It is better than a trip during the 60's. Anyway, on the way home we thought about stopping at Mount Rushmore, if there was time. We traveled west along I90 and wouldn't you know it, we got to Rapid City, SD about 10:00 pm and looked at our trusty United States Atlas and "oh, we are only 60 minutes away from Mount Rushmore, let's go see it. We will do a drive by and stop and look at the carver granite heads Dear. I also think at night they have lights, so we can see them from the road and we won't have to stop; we can get driving again and still get Meagan home in time for class on Monday". I don't remember who said that; it was probably, me the party animal. An hour and a half later we are at the gates looking for the lights and the heads. Hey, wake up girls, were here. There weren't any lights. No body was at the gate to take money. Where were the lights? I know I heard something about lights and how spectacular the view was at night. Where were the lights? Dad, we're going back to sleep. So, we went to Mount Rushmore and never saw the four presidents. In U.S. history when my girls are asked, "Have you been to Mount Rushmore", they say "yea, but we didn't see anything". Well here it is in its full glory. Oh, and by the way, the park does light the mountain for two hours every night for two hours after dusk. Just thought you would like to know what it looks like. By the way, it wasn't the same with out you girls or Lorie Darling, but I did chuckle the whole time I was there. You were all missed very much. (Part two later)

3 comments:

James and Shawna said...

Finally I see it in its glory! Before this I always wondered why people made such a big fuss about a dark mountain! Wish we all could have been there, but the pictures are almost as good!

Boom said...

I thought this was going to be about the time the car broke down! I want to hear that one!

Meagan said...

Hooray. It looks pretty cool in the light. Maybe someday.