Sunday, April 6, 2008

Pruning Time

Trees, trees, trees, it is spring time and pruning has to be done. Shawna helped me prune some of the trees and learned what a tough job it is when you know what you are doing but have not the experience to actually make the cuts. It has taken me 8-10 years to think I am an expert and every year when I begin the task I have to think how the tree will look in the future, how the fruit will affect the tree, how this years growth will affect the tree for the next several years, the shape, and the height. Thanks to Shawna we were able to get all of the trees pruned except for the Wolf River and the Transparent apple trees.
Hailee took over when Shawna left to go back to BYU. She pruned peach, apple, and pear trees at my side and we spent one whole Saturday on the back orchard. Hailee and Lorie helped me prune the apricot tree in the front yard. They did a wonderful job.
For those that care and hope you all do, we are going to plant five more hopefully ten more trees. Brad has ordered five Cameo trees for me and Shawna is going to help me graft five Jonathan trees. These will help us to make the best apple juice ever made.

No comments: